Dum, dum, dum, dum... dum, dum, dum, dum!


There are two wonderful comments in this YouTube clip that sum up this extraordinary moment:
1. "They can't say you can't miss what you didn't have. Well, I can!"
2. "14:58 minutes of my life that have been put to good use."

I really missed this trio big time. Never saw them live in concert and that makes me sad. Sad that I can only perceive this beauty through media, not with a direct contact.

Since I heard the double bass riff on "Seven Days of Falling" that "dum, dum, dum, dum..." these are four (very simple) notes that will never leave my head. Even my daughters, with all the biebers and mendes and beyoncés, know these very well, and that makes me proud, gives me the certainty that music is Universal with a capital U and also Human, with an even greater capital H.

The entire repertoire of the Esbjörn Svensson Trio is of an unique intellectual level, an emotional harmony without rival, with a fabulous balanced sonority and narrative, with an assured predicability and shocking surprise at the same time. A music where each bar is smiling at you and leads you to inner places you know so comfortably well, and others you finally found and wish you could have found them earlier. 

I am sure none of the three musicians has any lesson to be given, no moral to be passed on, universal intention, elevation of human dignity. They just want to enjoy and reap the reward of being Humans, allowing Time to flow and... stop in rapture.

It is... Religion, but without God. Just Human.

Fourteen minutes and fifty eight seconds of my life (and yours) put to good use. Don't miss it.

Comments

Post a Comment